Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
Carpal tunnel syndrome is a condition where the median nerve gets compressed , which passes through the carpal tunnel in the palm side of the hand.
Carpal tunnel is a passage which is surrounded by bones and ligaments. Median nerve gives a sensation or feeling to the thumb, index finger , long finger and half of the ring finger.
Causes of the carpal tunnel syndrome:
Exact cause is unknown.
- Trauma to the wrist may cause median nerve compression.
- Repetitive wrist movements.
- People who are doing computer work , or work that needs
- a strong grip are more prone to develop this syndrome.
- pregnancy.( due to fluid retention compression may occur to the nerve.)
- Hypothyroidism, diabetes, rheumatoid arthritis.
- Benign tumor such as lipoma or ganglion cyst etc.
Risk factors of carpal tunnel syndrome:
- Obese persons.
- Hypothyroidism , diabetes.
- During pregnancy.
- High salt intake.
- Over movements of wrist for eg- computer work, playing piano etc.
- Construction work.
Signs and symptoms of carpal tunnel syndrome :
- Symptoms of carpal tunnel syndrome starts gradually.
- It starts from numbness and tingling feeling or sometimes
- burning in the thumb and fingers, particularly in index or
- middle finger and fingers.
- Pain can shift to the forearm and upper arm.
- Pain in wrist and palm.
- Loss of grip.
- Most complaints increase in the morning.
- Weakness in the muscle of hands.
- Loss of sensation in fingers.
Phalenas test: In this ,wrist kept in a flexed position as far as possible. A positive test is one, when numbness in fingers and thumb occurs within 60 seconds of wrist flexion position. Quicker the numbness starts, the more advanced the coordination.
Tinelas signs: It is tested for ruling out irritation in the median nerve, by tapping over median nerve. If tingling or needle-like sensation occurs in the fingers ( in middle or index finger) forearm and arm that means the test is positive.
Hand elevation test: test is performed by raising both hands above head and reproducing symptoms in median nerve route indicate a positive test for carpal tunnel syndrome.
- Take short breaks frequently from wrist work and stretch
- Sitting posture should be correct, rolling head forward
- shoulder muscle can compress nerves of neck and this
- can affect wrist and fingers.
- Make sure the computer mouse is in a comfortable position and doesn’t strain your wrist.
Homeopathy management :
- Plumbum met.
Causticum : cuasticum has very good results in carpal tunnel syndrome . frequent attack of pain in arms and fingers that lasts for a long time or recurrence of pain . bruised feeling with drawing pain in arms and joints. Pain relieved by warm compression.
Plumbum met : it works well where muscles of fingers and hands start to degenerate. Weakness of hands and fingers are marked in this medicine. Trembling hands and can not hold a thing . numbness and tingling sensation .
Hypericum : hypericum cats on nerves. It is well marked where carpal tunnel syndrome occurs after injury in the wrist. Tingling numbness feeling especially in the thumb and finger. Sensation as if something is crawling in the fingers.
Ruta : ruta is one of the best medicine that can be given in the carpal tunnel syndrome that occurs due to over straining of the wrist that results in inflammation and causes pain in the hand and wrist. Pain in hand and wrist is well marked in this medicine.