Golfer’s elbow is also known as medial epicondylitis in which the flexor-pronator tendon starts to degenerate due to overexertion of the arm and forearm that causes severe pain while bending the wrist inside of the elbow. Groups of muscles get affected in the forearms.
1. Repetitive movements of the wrist, forearm and elbow can cause irritation of the elbow.
2. Sports: sports that require repetitive movements of wrist and forearm towards the palmer side like:
• Weight lifting
3. Other conditions like:
• Carpal tunnel syndrome
• Lateral epicondylitis
• Rotator cuff tendonitis
• People over the age of 40 years are more prone to get a golfer’s elbow.
• People practising repetitive movements of the wrist, forearm for up to 2 hours are at higher risk to get Golfer’s elbow.
• Obese people are at higher risk.
• Both males and females get equally affected by this.
• People with such occupations as butchers, plumbers, construction workers, regular computer use, cooks and painters are at higher risk.
Symptoms of Golfer’s Elbow
1. Pain in the medial epicondyle or inner side of forearms.
Pain aggravated by certain movements. Movements of the wrist, fingers and forearms trigger the pain.
2. Stiffness of the elbow or forearm
3. Tingling pain in the forearm
4. Numbness of the wrist and forearm
Diagnosis of Golfer’s Elbow
• Physical examination of the arm.
• Imaging test CT scan, MRI, X-ray to rule out the cause of elbow pain.
• During the physical examination, the patient will be asked to place their forearm at the table with the palm up. The doctor will apply the pressure on the hand and then will ask the person to make a movement of the hand towards the wrist. If a person will experience pain on the inner side of the elbow, this will be a positive sign for the medial epicondyle.
• Apply ice on the inner side of the forearms.
• Do proper stretching of forearm
• Stretch fingers
• Stretch wrist properly.
• Posture should be correct while playing sports
• Stretch before and after activity
• Take proper rest between exercises
• Stop the activity immediately if it triggers the pain.
Homoeopathy medicines for Golfer’s Elbow:
1. Causticum: causticum has very good results in the golfer’s elbow. frequent attack of pain in arms and fingers that lasts for a long time or recurrence of pain. Bruised feeling with drawing pain in arms and joints. Pain relieved by warm compression.
2. Plumbum met: it works well where muscles of fingers and hands start to degenerate. Weakness of hands and fingers are marked in this medicine. Trembling hands and can not hold a thing. Numbness and tingling sensation.
3. Ruta: Ruta is one of the best medicine that can be given in the golfer’s elbow that occurs due to overstraining of the wrist that results in inflammation and causes pain in the hand and elbow. Pain in the hand and wrist is well marked in this medicine.
4. Rhus tox: Rhus tox is well-indicated medicine for a golfer’s elbow, where pain occurs due to the overstraining of the muscles and tendons. Stiffness of the inner side of the forearm.