Giardiasis is the infection of the intestines that is caused by a parasite named giardia duodenalis
Giardia is spread by contaminated food or water or due to poor sanitation of the place.
Some people do not experience symptoms and some people may experience diarrhea, abdominal pain, and weight loss.
Symptoms start 2 or 3 weeks after exposure to the parasite.
The parasite is transmitted by the fecal-oral route with ingestion of trophozoite and cysts also.
Giardia exists in two forms, an active form is named trophozoite and the inactive form is a cyst. Trophozoite gets attached to the lining of the intestines and causes symptoms.
Cysts are found in the soil, water. when cysts are ingested down it passes through the mouth, esophagus, stomach into the intestines, where they release two trophozoites into the intestine called excystation.
Parasites feed off and get their nutrients from an infected person. Giardia multiplies by longitudinal binary fission and stays in the intestine where they get attached to the lining of the intestine.
When they moved down in the colon they converted back into cystic form and this is the most common cystic form found in stool. Those cysts are infectious when passed into the stool and they remain alive in cold water or soil.
• Giardiasis is caused by parasite infection that is caused by contaminated food or water.
• The parasite can be present in swimming pools, lakes, and ponds.
• Close contact with a person who has a parasitic infection.
• Having contact with infected people, environment, and animals.
Symptoms of Giardiasis:
• Diarrhea, loose stool can alternate with hard stool.
• Offensive stool
• Greasy stool
• Abdominal cramps
Symptoms usually last for 2 to 4 weeks. People with weak immune systems can take a longer time to recovery.
Stool test to diagnose giardiasis.
• Wash your hands after using the toilet or changing diapers.
• Do not swallow the water of the swimming pool.
• Boil the water before using it if a water filter is not available.
• Avoid anal sex.
• Use packed food or water if you are traveling.
• China: China is well-indicated medicine for giardiasis where loose stools are prominent with undigested food passes in the stool. Diarrhea aggravated after eating. Pain and weakness of the body. Bloating of the abdomen with offensive flatulence.
• Colocynth: colocynth is a very good medicine for giardiasis when there are cramps in the abdomen. Agonizing cutting type of pain in the abdomen. Sensation as if abdomen would burst. The intestines feel bruised. Dysenteric stool.
• Natrum phosphorus: natrum phos is well-indicated medicine for giardiasis when parasitic infection can lead to weight loss. Colic with symptoms of worms.
• Chelone glabra: it is good medicine for pain in the right side of the abdomen that descends downwards. There can be a fever with malaise. Round and threadworms. It is an enemy to every kind of worm infesting in the human body.
• Cina: cina can be given in the giardisasis. It helps to eliminate the worms. Weight loss even if a person is taking a good diet. Twisting type of pain in the abdomen around the navel. Bloating and hardness feeling of the abdomen.