Thrush is a common yeast infection that affects men and women and infants. It is a fungal infection that can grow in your mouth, throat and other parts of your body. The medical term of thrush is candidiasis.
In your it appears as a growth that can look like cottage cheese“ white, raised lesions on your tongue and cheeks.
Mouth and throat thrush is called oropharyngeal candidiasis. It’s usually harmless but it can be uncomfortable and keep coming back.
The condition can quickly become irritated and cause mouth pain and redness.
Causes and risk factors:
Oral thrush and other yeast infections are caused by an overgrowth of the fungus Candida albicans (C.albicans).
- Habit of Self medications.
- Eating Unhygienic food.
- Dry mouth
- HIV infection
Oral thrush: It can commonly be seen in infants.
- Thick white coating in tongue.
- Burning in mouth.
- Irritation in mouth.
- Discomfort when swallowing.
- White vaginal discharge which is whitish gray like cheese cottage which does not usually smell.
- itching and irritation around the vagina and vulva.
- soreness and stinging when you pee.
- Burning sensation or pain during sex.
- irritation, burning and redness around the head of the penis and under the foreskin an unpleasant smell difficulty pulling back the foreskin( phimosis )
It in other areas:
- It can affect other areas of skin, such as the armpits, groin and between the fingers.
- This usually causes a red, itchy or painful rash that scales over with white or yellow discharge. The rash may not be so obvious on darker skin.
- Physical examination in oral thrush you can see the white thick coating over the tongue.
- History of signs and symptoms.
- Throat culture: Swabbing the back of your throat with sterile cotton and studying the microorganisms under a microscope.
Oral thrush –
- Maintain oral hygiene
- Brushing your teeth twice a day
Genitals thrush –
- Wash your genitals properly.
- Wash after urinating properly.
- Maintain proper hygiene.
- Use Cotton inner wear.
- Use condom during sexual intercourse
Carbolic acid: It is a well indicated remedy for ulcerated patches on the inside of lips and cheeks. Also good for burning sensation in mouth to stomach. Red fauces covered with exudation.
Borax: borax is a well indicated remedy for white discharge like white of egg. Sensation as if warm water was flowing. Itching of vulva. Pungent smell in urine.
Arsenicum iodatum: Arsenicum iodatum is a well indicated remedy for it. Dry scaly itching on the affected area. Dryness of mouth. Offensive breath. Burning in mouth.
Mercurius: merc sol is a good remedy for thick white coated layers in the tongue. Fetid odour from mouth. Intense thirst for cold drinks. Sensation of rawness in genitals. Prepuce irritated.