Gastro-oesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) Overview
GERD is called an acid reflux disease, where stomach contents flow back to the food pipe and cause heartburn and tissues damaged by the food pipe.
A food pipe (esophagus) is a tube that helps in the transportation of food from the mouth to the stomach. A muscular ring that is situated in the food pipe opens and gets closed after entering the food into the stomach.
Chronic Acid Reflux Causes:
• It occurs when the ring of the food pipe gets weak and doesn’t get closed properly.
• Lying down after eating a meal
• During pregnancy
• A person with a history of hiatus hernia.
Symptoms of Chronic Acid Reflux:
2. Difficulty in breathing.
3. Regurgitation of food.
4. Nausea and vomiting
5. Burning chest pain with heaviness.
7. Sore throat
Risk factors Chronic Acid Reflux:
• Tobacco smoking
• During pregnancy
• People with asthma are prone to develop acid reflux disease.
• People who are taking highly spicy rich food have a risk to develop acid reflux disease.
• Long-term intake of medications such as sedatives and NSAIDs.
• h/o of hormone replacement therapy.
• False eating pattern.
1. Endoscopy: a long tube with a bulb attached in front of the tube inserted into the mouth to see the lining of the esophagus.
2. Barium swallow radiograph: In which patient swallows a barium liquid and then chest X-rays gets done in the barium-filled esophagus.
What are the Complications of Chronic Acid Reflux):
4. Tissue damaged of the food pipe can cause ulcers.
Chronic Acid Reflux Management:
1. Avoid fried spicy food.
2. Do not take a large meal at a time.
3. Avoid alcohol, coffee, chocolate, and cold drinks.
4. Do not smoke.
5. Take 300 steps minimum after a meal and before bedtime.
6. Sleep with the head raised position. The Head should be raised above the chest.
GASTRO OESOPHAGEAL REFLEX DISEASE Homoeopathy management:
1. ROBINA. Robina is well indicated for GERD and acid reflex. Intense heartburn with sour belching. Vomiting of stomach contents tht is sour and aggravation at night or while lying down.
2. IRIS VERSICOLOR. Iris versicolor can be given to a patient having heartburn. Bitter and sour belching is the marked symptom of this medicine. Vomiting of bitter fluid with pain in epigastric region. Constant nausea vomiting after having meal.
3. NUX VOMICA. It has marked action on GERD accompanied by cough gastric cough gets worse at night. Burning in the throat regurgitation of food with sour taste aggravates at night.
4. PHOSPHORUS. phosphorus has main action on GIT and can be in GERD gastric ulceration, colitis, IBS , peptic ulcer etc. Hemorrhagic tendency is marked in this. Burning of the stomach relieved by drinking cold water.